Buy The Best Approach to Precis Writing Book written by S C Gupta and published by Arihant Publication. Get a huge number of Book written by S C Gupta from our online book shop.
We have a tremendous collection of Books written by S C Gupta. Arihant Publication is a popular name in publication world. Almost all books published by Arihant Publication are available in our online store.
The Best Approach to Precis Writing is one of the bestselling books. If you are searching The Best Approach to Precis Writing then you are at right place. You can buy The Best Approach to Precis Writing at an affordable price.
What do you mean by precis writing?
Precis writing is the act of summarizing a given passage or text in a condensed form, retaining only the essential ideas and important points, while omitting details, examples, and supporting arguments. The goal of precis writing is to provide an accurate and concise summary of the original text, without altering its tone or meaning, while also making it more understandable and accessible to the reader. Precis writing is often used in academic settings to help students develop their critical thinking and reading skills, and it is also a valuable skill in many professional fields where clear and effective communication is essential.
What is the format of Precis Writing?
The format of precis writing typically includes the following elements:
- Heading: The heading of the precis should include the title of the original text, the author’s name, and the date of publication.
- Introduction: The introduction should provide some background information about the original text and its author, as well as a brief summary of the main topic and purpose of the text.
- Statement of the thesis: This is the author’s main argument or thesis statement, which should be stated clearly and concisely in your precis.
- Summary of the main points: The body of the precis should include a summary of the main points and arguments of the original text, organized in a logical and coherent manner.
- Condensed language: Precis writing requires the use of condensed language, which means that unnecessary words, phrases, and details should be eliminated, while retaining the essential meaning and tone of the original text.
- Conclusion: The conclusion should summarize the main points of the precis and provide some final thoughts or insights about the original text.
It is important to note that the format of precis writing may vary depending on the specific requirements of the assignment or context. However, the general goal is to create a clear, concise, and accurate summary of the original text.
What are the rules for Writing a good Precis?
A precis is a brief summary of a larger text that retains the essential points and tone of the original work. Writing a good precis requires a clear understanding of the original text, as well as the ability to summarize its key points accurately and concisely. Here are some rules to follow when writing a good precis:
- Read the original text carefully: Before you begin writing your precis, make sure you have a thorough understanding of the original text. Take notes as you read and highlight key ideas and arguments.
- Identify the main points: Identify the main points and arguments of the original text. These are the ideas that you will need to include in your precis.
- Determine the purpose and audience: Consider the purpose of the original text and the intended audience. Your precis should reflect these factors and convey the tone and style of the original work.
- Keep it brief: A precis should be significantly shorter than the original text. Aim for a length of about one-third to one-fourth of the original text.
- Use your own words: Your precis should be written in your own words, rather than simply copying and pasting from the original text. This will help ensure that you understand the material and can communicate it clearly to your audience.
- Focus on the main ideas: Focus on the main ideas and arguments of the original text, rather than getting bogged down in details or examples.
- Use proper citation: If you include any direct quotes or paraphrased material from the original text, be sure to use proper citation to give credit to the original author.
- Revise and edit: Once you have completed your precis, take the time to revise and edit it carefully. Check for accuracy, clarity, and conciseness.
By following these rules, you can write a clear, concise, and accurate precis that effectively summarizes the key points of the original text.